Video Timeline and Monitoring
Ardour offers a video timeline and video monitoring for convenient audio mixing and editing to video, in order to produce film soundtracks and music videos, or perform TV post-production tasks.
The video capabilities are:
- Import a single video and optionally extract the soundtrack from it.
- Provide a video monitor window, or full-screen display, of the imported video in sync with any of the available Ardour timecode sources.
- Display a frame-by-frame (thumbnail) timeline of the video.
- Allow for a configurable timecode offset.
- Lock audio regions to the video.
- Move audio regions with the video at video-frame granularity.
- Export the video, trim start and end, add blank frames and/or multiplex it with the soundtrack of the current session.
The setup of the video subsystem is modular and can be configured in different ways, including:
- One machine for all video decoding, video monitoring and audio editing tasks
- Two machines, one for video monitoring, one for Ardour
- Three machines, separate video server (for timeline decoding and file archive), dedicated video monitor, and Ardour
Ardour does not:
- allow for more than one video to be loaded at a time.
- provide video editing capabilities